For a healthier and less expensive alternative to instant oatmeal packets, try this homemade instant oatmeal mix. Adapt the spices and add-ins to suit your taste and leave the jar on the counter for a quick and easy breakfast that beats cereal. (Be sure to check out our other homemade mixes.)
Homemade Oatmeal Mix
- 6 cups quick oatmeal
- 1-1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup dried fruit (dried apples, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc.)
- 1 cup broken nut pieces (pecans, almonds, or walnuts)
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon (optional, good if using dried apples)
Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Crush any clumps of brown sugar to blend with other ingredients. Store in an airtight container. To serve, mix 1/2 cup oatmeal mix with 1/3 cup boiling water. Mix well and let sit for 1 minute to thicken. Adjust the amount of water added for preferred consistency if needed.
Too busy to plan dinner?
With the Busy Mom Menu from Menus4Moms, we plan for you. Take advantage of the Secrets of a Busy Cook and just... Print. Shop. Cook.