This hearty soup with fresh vegetables can easily be made into a vegetarian dish by using vegetable stock in place of beef broth.
Barley Lentil Soup
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated, drained, and chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano, dried and crumbled
- 70 oz. beef or vegetable broth, plus more for thinning as desired
- 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add next 7 ingredients and cook until bell pepper just softens (about 6 minutes).
- Mix in the broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, stir in barley and lentils.
- Reduce heat and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 ½ hours.
- Thin soup to desired consistency with additional broth, and season with salt and pepper before serving.
Pin this recipe: