Rich flavors and tender dumplings make this easy beef stew a fall favorite.
If you would like to make this in the crockpot, you can omit the sautéing and combine everything except the dumpling ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on low for about 6 hours, and follow the instructions for making the dumplings just before serving.
Beef Stew with Dumplings
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
- 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 15 oz. can beef broth
- Water as needed to cover ingredients
- 1 ½ C flour
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ C milk
- In a large pot cook onion and mushroom in oil on medium high for about 10 min. until softened.
- Add beef, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, broth, and water (if needed to cover the ingredients) to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about an hour and 15 min.
- Prepare dumplings by combining the ingredients together and dropping by the spoonful on top of the stew.
- Cover and let cook without lifting the lid for 10 minutes or until dumplings are raised and fluffy.