Pimentos and green chilies combine with cheddar cheese and tarragon to give Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti casserole its unique flavor. Tarragon is one of my favorite herbs to combine with chicken as the flavors complement each other so well.
The casserole freezes well so if you want to double up on the recipe, it’s a good dish to stock the freezer. I like this recipe because not only can I make extra for the freezer, I can easily make a vegetarian option by substituting broccoli or red bell peppers in place of the chicken (I substitute cream of celery soup for the vegetarian version).
Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti
- 8 oz pkg. spaghetti, cooked according to directions
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, cubed (from freezer)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp pimientos, diced
- 4.5 oz can green chilies
- 1 Tbsp tarragon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Combine chicken, 1 cup cheese, soup, milk, pimientos, green chilies, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Add spaghetti and mix gently. Place mixture in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.