Eating a vegetarian dish at least once a week is a good way to save on groceries, and Fettuccine with Tomato Basil Sauce is quick and easy.
I almost always have the ingredients for pasta with marinara sauce on hand, and fresh basil adds a delicious touch to this dish; it’s so easy to grow your own year round if you have a sunny window.
Fettuccine with Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup oil
- 28 oz whole tomatoes, broken up but undrained
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 oz fettuccine, cooked and kept warm
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until tender. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve sauce over fettuccini with Parmesan cheese for garnish if desired.