Using frozen hash browns is a super quick way to put potato soup on the table without a lot of fuss or mess.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 32 oz. bag frozen hash browns (diced, not shredded)
- 10.5 oz. can cream of celery soup
- 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 16 oz. cheddar cheese, divided
- green onions, chopped (for garnish)
Sauté onion in oil in soup pot.
Add broth and bring to boil.
Add hash browns and bring to boil.
Add soups and evaporated milk, bring to a simmer.
Add 3-1/2 cups cheddar cheese.
Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.
Serve garnished with remaining shredded cheddar and green onions.
- If you have sautéed onions in the freezer, use 1 cup of onions. If not, consider sautéing a whole bag of onions either while preparing this dish or later when you have more time and freezing them in 1 cup portions. Next time a recipe calls for a sautéed onion, you have it already prepared!
- For a vegetarian version of this soup, use vegetable stock in place of chicken broth, and use two cans of cream of celery soup and omit the cream of chicken soup.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 347
Keywords: hash brown potato soup, hash brown soup, easy potato soup, stovetop soup, easy recipes