Week 6 Summary
Notes for this week
|Pinto Beans over Cornbread||Green Salad|
|Bean & Cheese Burritos||Mixed Vegetables|
|Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken||Steamed Broccoli|
|Baked Spaghetti||Green Peas with Butter||Caesar Salad|
Send me the meal plans!
🗓️ Day 1
- Pinto Beans over Cornbread
- Green Salad
Pinto Beans Over Cornbread
- Break apart a piece of cornbread in each bowl and top with hot cooked pinto beans.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped onion, cheddar cheese, and chopped cilantro.
How To Cook Dried Beans for the Freezer
- 1 lb. bag dried beans, black, pinto, kidney, etc.
- Rinse beans in a colander and check to be sure there are no stones or other debris. Place beans in a large pot and cover with water so that the water is twice as deep as the beans. Soak for at least 5 hours.
- Drain beans in a colander and rinse pot. Return beans to pot and cook at a simmer until beans are tender, which can be anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the type of bean. Beans can also be cooked in the Instant Pot according to the times listed on their website. If cooking in the IP, be sure to watch the levels of food and water since beans foam while cooking. The inner pot should never be more than 1/2 full.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid (place colander on a lg. pan or bowl then pour beans into the colander so that the bowl catches the liquid). Separate beans into 2 cup servings in freezer bags. Cover beans in each bag with some of reserved liquid and freeze flat.
- 1 cup Quaker® Yellow or White Corn Meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
🗓️ Day 2
- Zuppa Toscana
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage, removed from casings and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 turkey bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 10 oz pkg. frozen chopped spinach, or fresh equivalent - about 2-1/2 cups chopped
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Sauté Italian sausage and onion in a large pot until sausage is cooked through and onion is tender.
- Add bacon and garlic and sauté until garlic is slightly tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and spinach, turn heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add half and half and cook until just heated.
- Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
🗓️ Day 3
- Bean & Cheese Burritos
- Mixed Vegetables
Bean and Cheese Burritos
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 30 oz. canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or prepared equivalent from dried beans)
- 6 burrito sized tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- optional fillings, such as cilantro, green onions, rice, sour cream, etc.
- In a skillet, sauté onion, garlic, and red bell pepper in a small amount of oil.
- When vegetables are tendercrisp, reduce heat.
- Add seasonings and beans, mixing with previous ingredients.
- Mash some of the beans with a potato masher, adding a small amount of water if needed.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat until hot.
- Warm tortillas and let each person assemble their own burritos with the filling, cheese, and other optional fillings.
🗓️ Day 4
- Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Steamed Broccoli
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, quartered
- 2 Tbsp tapioca, quick cooking
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 oz can pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp cilantro, dried
- 3 cups rice, cooked and kept warm
- Place vegetables in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle tapioca over the vegetables. Place chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Combine all other ingredients except rice in a small bowl. Pour over chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve over rice.
🗓️ Day 5
- Baked Spaghetti
- Green Peas with Butter
- Caesar Salad
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz can tomatoes with juice, undrained
- 4 oz can mushrooms, drained
- 16 oz jar pizza sauce
- 8 oz spaghetti
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices crisp cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper in skillet until tender.
- Combine tomatoes, mushrooms, and pizza sauce in bowl.
- Add spaghetti, vegetables, and seasoning to bowl and stir to combine. Top with cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
🧾 Create a shopping list
Note that any recipe scaling from the recipes above does not carry over to the starting point for the grocery list, so you will need to make those same serving adjustments below after you click the Shopping List button. To print the notes for each day, after clicking the Shopping List button, click Print Collection.