Classic red beans and rice is easy, affordable, and delicious. Season with creole seasoning to your preference and let the onions, garlic, celery, and pepper do the rest.
If you forget or don’t have time to let the beans soak overnight, you can use 3-4 cans of beans for this recipe instead of dry beans.
Red Beans and Rice
- 1 pound dry kidney beans or small red beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 pound smoked beef sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- Creole seasoning to taste
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Soak the beans overnight in water.
- Drain and rinse beans and add fresh water to a depth twice as deep as the beans.
- Bring the beans to a boil and cook for about an hour or until tender, checking the water level periodically and adding water if needed.
- After the beans have softened up and are getting close to being done, add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer the beans, sausage, and vegetables for about a half an hour longer, or until the beans are tender.
- Serve over rice.