This quick and easy recipe is a great way to use cooked chicken from the freezer (for more on this way of cutting down prep time, see the Menus4Moms Primer: Cooking for the Freezer). Prep is minimal and since everything is already cooked, it only takes 25-30 minutes from start to finish. The recipe is featured in both the Busy Mom Menu and the Frugal Mom Menu.
Sandy’s Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups cooked chicken (from freezer), thawed
- 1 onion, chopped and sautéed (from freezer), thawed
- 1 (4 oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup cashew nuts (chopped or whole)
- 1 can chow mien noodles, separated
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, mix together cooked chicken, sautéed onion, drained red peppers, soup, water, nuts, and ½ can of chow mien noodles. Pour mixture into lightly greased casserole dish. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle remaining ½ can of chow mien noodles over the top and continue baking for 5 more minutes. Serve over rice.