Serve these delicious smothered steaks with mashed potatoes for hearty comfort food or with egg noodles for lighter fare.
Smothered Salisbury Steaks with Mushrooms and Onions
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt free seasoning, or to taste
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 pkgs brown gravy mix
- 2 cups water
- Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, and seasoning. Shape into 8 patties.
- In a skillet, brown the patties on both sides. Remove the meat from the skillet and place in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the skillet and sauté about 10 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Whisk the gravy mixes and water together and add to the skillet; cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the skillet over the top of the meat. Bake at 350° for 40-60 minutes or until meat is cooked through and tender.