Tortellini Zucchini Soup is an easy 20 minute soup that is good to the last drop—so good that you might need to double the recipe! It freezes well, so it’s a good dish to stock your freezer. Use vegetable broth for a vegetarian option, or add fresh spinach for extra nutrients.
I recently tried this yummy tortellini soup that surprised everyone with how good it was. I made lots extra, but even with the extra we ended up with barely enough to pack my husband a serving for lunch the next day! It was very quick and easy to prepare and could easily be made into a freezer recipe (instructions included).
Tortellini Zucchini Soup
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 19 oz. bag frozen tortellini, cheese or meat
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
If preparing to serve:
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onion and zucchini in the olive oil until onion is translucent and zucchini is tender.
- Add the chicken stock, basil, bay leaf, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir and heat to a simmer.
- Add tortellini and bring back to a simmer. Cook for 8 minutes or until tortellini is tender and cooked through. Add parsley and stir just before serving.
If preparing to freeze:
- Sauté the onion and zucchini in the olive oil until onion is translucent and zucchini is tender. Remove from heat and add all ingredients except chicken stock and stir gently.
- Freeze and label with the following instructions: "Bring 6 cups of chicken stock to a boil. Add frozen ingredients and stir gently until thawed. Heat to a boil and cook for 8 minutes or until tortellini is tender and cooked through."
Pin this recipe: