- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 recipe of your favorite pizza dough, homemade or purchased
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large skillet, brown mushrooms, onion, and pepper. Add 1/2 cup pasta sauce and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll dough out and cut into 6 rectangles, about 5"x7". In a small bowl, mix egg and water, brush on dough edges. Stir cheese into vegetable mixture. Spoon equal amounts of vegetable mixture onto half of each dough piece. Fold dough over filling and press around sides to seal edges.
- Place on baking sheet and brush with egg mixture. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Heat remaining pasta sauce and serve with cooked stromboli.
- Speed up your preparation with prepared pizza dough. You can buy refrigerated pizza dough in a cardboard tube near the crescent rolls, and some grocery stores (I'm looking at you, Trader Joe's) carry bags of ready to roll pizza dough in the refrigerated section.
- Use what you have for this dish—if you have spinach and mushrooms but not onions and peppers, use that. Meat can be added/substituted.