My friend Cheryl shared this recipe with me this week and I just loved it it. Like most of the recipes I use, it can be adjusted based on what you have on hand. You could change the seasonings or the vegetables used or make it vegetarian by omitting the meat to make a completely different version. I did not have any red or green onion so I used about 2 Tbsp dehydrated onion and it worked fine.
Veggie Rice Salad
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (or green onion)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Mix dressing ingredients and set aside.
- 2-3 cups cold cooked rice
- 1-2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup shredded raw carrot
- 1-2 cups cooked chicken
- 1-2 Tbsp. Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- Lettuce, for serving
Combine the salad ingredients (except lettuce) in a large bowl. Add dressing and stir gently until well mixed. Serve hot as a casserole or cold on a bed of lettuce.