Notes for this week
|Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks||Mashed Potatoes||Stir-fried Squash and Bell Pepper with Garlic|
|Barley Lentil Soup||Garlic Bread|
|Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya||Green Salad|
|Citrus Caper Tilapia||Sweet Potato Fries||Cole Slaw|
|Carne Guisada||Tortillas||Southwestern-style Green Salad|
Send me the meal plans!
🗓️ Day 1
- Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks
- Mashed Potatoes
- Stir Fried Squash and Bell Pepper with Garlic
Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 1/2 lbs. chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- Place drumsticks in a crockpot.
- In a medium bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and tomato sauce. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6- 8 hours or until done.
Stir Fried Squash & Bell Pepper with Garlic
- 3 cups yellow or zucchini squash, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. basil or Italian seasonings
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté the squash, onion, peppers in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Add other ingredients. Reduce heat and cook uncovered for 3-4 more minutes until veggies are tender.
Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs. potatoes, cleaned and peeled (see note below)
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- ¼ cup skim milk, or more as needed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- paprika, for garnish
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil until potatoes are fork tender; drain and return to pot.
- Add 4 Tbsp. butter, salt, and pepper to pot and mix; adding enough milk while mixing to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer mashed potatoes to a serving bowl, top with 2 Tbsp. butter, and garnish with paprika.
🗓️ Day 2
- Barley Lentil Soup
- Garlic Bread
Barley Lentil Soup
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated, drained, and chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano, dried and crumbled
- 70 oz. beef or vegetable broth, plus more for thinning as desired
- 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add next 7 ingredients and cook until bell pepper just softens (about 6 minutes).
- Mix in the broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, stir in barley and lentils.
- Reduce heat and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 ½ hours.
- Thin soup to desired consistency with additional broth, and season with salt and pepper before serving.
🗓️ Day 3
- Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
- Green Salad
Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
- 2 cups water
- 10 oz Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
- 15.5 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped (from freezer)
- 1 chopped and sautéed onion, from freezer
- 8 oz box jambalaya rice mix
- 13 oz turkey kielbasa, cooked and cut in half lengthwise then cut into 1/2" slices
- 1 chopped and sautéed green bell pepper, chopped (from freezer)
- Bring water and Rotel tomatoes and green chilies to a boil in a large pot.
- Add black beans, cooked chicken, sautéed onions and peppers, and rice mix. Cover and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, sauté the sliced kielbasa until browned. Drain off grease and add kielbasa slices to the rice mixture, stirring gently. Continue cooking until the 20 minutes is up and the rice is tender. Serve immediately.
🗓️ Day 4
- Citrus Caper Tilapia
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Cole Slaw
Citrus Caper Tilapia
- 4 tilapia fillets, patted dry
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Cut the orange and lemon in half. Juice one half of orange and one half of lemon. Slice the remaining half of each fruit.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Add fish to skillet. Turn fish over after edges begin to cook.
- In a small bowl, stir together cooking wine, juice from half of the orange, juice from half of the lemon, slices from half of the orange and half of the lemon, capers, and butter. Add a little more salt and pepper for taste, if desired.
- Pour fruit juice/butter mixture into the frying pan with the fish and heat. When liquid begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and continue cooking until the fish is thoroughly cooked, about 1-2 minutes depending on thickness of the fillet. Serve immediately.
🗓️ Day 5
- Carne Guisada
- Southwestern-style Green Salad
Carne Guisada for the Slow Cooker
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 lbs beef stew meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes with green chilies or plain diced tomatoes, reserve juices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T. flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- fresh cilantro
- grated cheese
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- Put water in slow cooker and add meat. Salt and pepper as desired.
- Drain juice from tomatoes with green chilies into a 2 cup measuring cup and place tomatoes with green chilies over meat. Add garlic, onion, and green pepper. Cook on high for about 30 minutes.
- Add spices to slow cooker and stir. Add enough water to the reserved juice from tomatoes with green chilies to make 1-½ cups liquid.
- Heat liquid in microwave or on stovetop. Add flour to liquid and mix well. Add flour mixture to slow cooker and stir to blend well.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours until sauce is thickened and meat is tender.
- These instructions are for making Carne Guisada in the slow cooker; you can find the instructions for the Instant Pot here.
- If you prefer mild vs. spicy food, substitute canned tomatoes for the tomatoes with green chilies.
- Leftovers from Carne Guisada can be used to make beef enchiladas, Tex-Mex Beef Casserole, or burritos.
- Garnishes not included in nutrition data.
🧾 Create a shopping list
Note that any recipe scaling from the recipes above does not carry over to the starting point for the grocery list, so you will need to make those same serving adjustments below after you click the Shopping List button. To print the notes for each day, after clicking the Shopping List button, click Print Collection.