Notes for this week
|Creole Chicken in Green Chili Cream Sauce||Roasted Okra & Onions||Rice|
|Loaded Baked Potatoes||Spinach & Garlic Sautéed in Butter|
|Mongolian Beef||Asian Cole Slaw||Rice|
|Lemon Rosemary Chicken||Easy Microwave Acorn Squash||Slow Simmered Green Beans with Butter|
|Pasta E Fagioli||Green Salad||Baguette|
Free Meal Plans by Email
Day 1 Dinner Menu
If you have leftover Creole Chicken, it can make a good topping for loaded potatoes on Day 2.
- Creole Chicken in Green Chili Cream Sauce
- Roasted Okra
- Rice (make extra rice for Day 3)
Creole Chicken in Green Chili Cream Sauce
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts, thawed
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. Creole seasoning, like Tony Cachere’s
- 1-1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1- 4 oz. can green chilies, diced
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large fry pan and sauté chicken on each side until browned. Continue cooking over medium heat until chicken is cooked through.
- In a separate pan, cook pepper and onion in remaining olive oil until tender.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Add the creole seasoning, bouillon, and green chilies and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Add milk a little at a time, stirring constantly between each addition. When sauce is starting to thicken, add lemon juice and sour cream and stir gently until sour cream is melted and mixture is hot. Keep warm until chicken is cooked.
- When chicken is cooked, pour sauce over chicken and serve.
Roasted Okra & Onions
- 1 lb. fresh okra
- 1 large onion
- coarsely ground salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Prepare the okra by trimming the stem and slicing in half lengthwise.
- Slice the onion into strips.
- Toss the okra and onion with the oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Roast at 425ºF for 10-15 minutes, or until tendercrisp.
Day 2 Dinner Menu
Provide a variety of toppings for the Loaded Baked Potatoes based on what you have on hand and let each person create their own with the toppings they prefer.
- Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Spinach & Garlic Sautéed in Butter
Loaded Baked Potatoes
- 6 large baking potatoes, or as many as you need
- 15 oz can chili, heated
- shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for coating
- Optional ingredients: sour cream, green onions, tomatoes
- Coat potatoes with oil. Coat with coarsely ground salt and pepper and cook using the method of your choice below.
- Cut open and slightly mash insides of potatoes (leave insides in potato). Top with chili, cheese and any other garnishes you choose.
- Prick potatoes with a fork several times, wrap in aluminum foil, and cook at 350°F for approximately 1 hour or until centers are hot and tender.
- Prick potatoes with a fork several times, wrap in aluminum foil, and cook in the slow cooker for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- Prick potatoes with a fork several times, and starting with 6 minutes, cook in the microwave on high. Check potatoes regularly to see if they are done, adding time in 1-2 minute increments until they are cooked through.
Instant Pot Method:
- A Mindful Mom has Instant Pot instructions for baked potatoes.
Sautéed Spinach and Garlic
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. butter
- 16 oz. fresh baby spinach, washed and dried
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Melt butter in a skillet and sauté minced garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Add spinach and stir it into the garlic just until it starts to wilt. Add salt and serve.
Day 3 Dinner Menu
- Mongolian Beef (plan ahead to marinate)
- Asian Cole Slaw
- Rice (use leftover rice from Day 1)
Mongolian Beef Stir Fry
- 2 lbs. boneless sirloin steak, sliced into ½–inch strips
- 6 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 scallions
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 recipe marinade, see below
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- dash of pepper
- Trim the fat from the beef and cut into ½-inch strips. Place in shallow baking dish. In mixing bowl, mix together marinade ingredients and pour over the beef. Marinate overnight.
- Cut scallions into small pieces.
- Heat 6 Tbsp oil in a skillet or wok over high heat. Carefully add ginger, garlic, and beef to heated oil. Stir fry until browned.
- Add remaining soy sauce; stir until beef is completely covered.
- Add scallions and stir-fry for 1 minute more. Serve with rice or lo mein noodles.
Asian Cole Slaw
- 10 oz. broccoli slaw, slaw blend, or cole slaw mix
- 8 Tbsp. sesame ginger salad dressing
- 8 Tbsp. crispy wonton strips
- Mix slaw blend and salad dressing. Top with wonton strips and serve.
Day 4 Dinner Menu
- Lemon Rosemary Chicken (make extra to stock freezer)
- Easy Acorn Squash
- Slow Simmered Green Beans with Butter
Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- 1 large whole roaster
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Clean chicken and remove anything in the cavity. Pat dry.
- In a small bowl, mix together everything except chicken and lemon. Rub the butter mixture over entire chicken.
- Cut the lemon in half, and slightly squeeze the juice from one half over top of chicken. Put both lemon halves inside chicken cavity.
- Place chicken on a roasting rack in a roaster and roast for about 1 hour, basting 2-3 times. Cover with foil and roast an additional 30-45 minutes, basting 1-2 times, until internal temperatures reach 165°. Let chicken sit for about 5 minutes before carving.
Easy Microwave Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tsp. brown sugar or honey
- dash of cinnamon
- 2 tsp. butter
- dash of salt
- 2 Tbsp. water, for steaming
- Wash acorn squash, cut in half; scrape out seeds. Place upside down into a glass baking dish containing 2 Tbsp. water. Cook in microwave until squash is tender, about 6 minutes (time depends on your microwave strength and the number of squash you are cooking).
- Remove from microwave, turn squash right side up in same dish. Into each hollow, place butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cook in microwave until butter mixture is bubbly. Serve hot.
Day 5 Dinner Menu
- Pasta E Fagioli
- Green Salad
Pasta e Fagioli
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 14.5 oz. vegetable or chicken broth
- 29 oz. fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup ditalini, orzo, or other small pasta
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans, with liquid
- shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté celery, onion, garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer on low 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook 7-10 minutes until pasta is al dente. Add undrained beans. Mix thoroughly and continue cooking until heated through.
- Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese on top, if desired, and serve.
Create a Shopping List
Note that any recipe scaling from the recipes above does not carry over to the starting point for the grocery list, so you will need to make those same serving adjustments below after you click the Shopping List button. To print the notes for each day, after clicking the Shopping List button, click Print Collection.