The combination of cream, butter, and Parmesan cheese creates a fantastic homemade Alfredo sauce, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg adds the perfect complement to the creamy richness. Calories and fat could be reduced by using milk and/or half-and-half along with some cornstarch to thicken the sauce instead of using cream.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg, affiliate link
- In a large saucepan, combine cream and butter. Heat over medium heat until butter has melted and cream is warmed, but do not boil. Add Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well and cook over medium-low heat until cheese is melted. Serve with pasta.