For a healthier and less expensive alternative to instant oatmeal packets, try this homemade instant oatmeal mix. Adapt the spices and add-ins to suit your taste and leave the jar on the counter for a quick and easy breakfast that beats cereal. (Be sure to check out our other homemade mixes.)
- 6 cups quick oatmeal
- 1–1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup dried fruit (dried apples, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc.)
- 1 cup broken nut pieces (pecans, almonds, or walnuts)
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon (optional, good if using dried apples)
Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Crush any clumps of brown sugar to blend with other ingredients. Store in an airtight container. To serve, mix 1/2 cup oatmeal mix with 1/3 cup boiling water. Mix well and let sit for 1 minute to thicken. Adjust the amount of water added for preferred consistency if needed.
If you find that the oatmeal is not as thick as you would like, try processing 1-2 cups of the dry quick oats in the blender before mixing them in with the rest of the ingredients.
Keywords: instand oatmeal mix, homemade instant oatmeal mix