Whether you have fresh spinach from the garden or frozen from the store, this Zuppa Toscana recipe is a great way to use it in a rich soup that fills you up.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, removed from casings and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen chopped spinach (or fresh equivalent – about 2-1/2 cups chopped)
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
Sauté Italian sausage and onion in a large pot until sausage is cooked through and onion is tender. Add bacon and garlic and sauté until garlic is slightly tender, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and spinach, turn heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add half and half and cook until just heated. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.